Ancillary revenue is the in-thing for low-cost carriers these days. Indigo took the lead with this concept long back, when they introduced Indigo Plus, which was the wrap of a cold meal on board + pre-assigned seating. They topped up with another new service offering called Fast Forward, which included priority check-in and priority baggage claim a short while back. Jet Airways is also toying with idea of charging for meals, lounge access and priority check-in.
Spicejet could have not been left behind, right? However, maybe they did not think of this before. They have recently announced the launch of Spicejet MAX, which offers priority check-in, seat selection and a meal on board.
What I find interesting is, that while this is a combination of Indigo’s Plus and Fast Forward (sans the priority baggage delivery), while Indigo charges Rs. 600 (for Plus), and Rs. 200 (for Fast Forward), SpiceJet is giving these priority benefits for Rs. 500. Not exactly a steal of a deal, but if you like a buy-on-board meal on a plane, then you are anyways set up to spend Rs. 250 approximately. Then, the rest Rs. 250 buys you all the other benefits.
As for the seat selection, you got to note, you can’t really have a front row or emergency exit seat with this service. Does guarantee you won’t be stuck in a middle-seat, but does not guarantee extra leg room !
Here are the official T&C:
- SpiceJet MAX can be bought along with any fare two hours prior to departure either through our website www.spicejet.com while making a reservation or by calling our 24X7 Guest and Reservation Center or at our Airport Ticketing Offices.
- SpiceJet MAX is offered per passenger per sector for all passengers booked on a PNR.
- SpiceJet MAX is available for all direct and via flights on the domestic and international network operated by SpiceJet. This offer is not valid on connecting flights.
- SpiceJet MAX will include a choice meal of Vegetarian/Non Vegetarian along with 1 non-Alcoholic beverage. On routes operated on Boeing aircrafts hot meal will be provided while on routes operated by Q400 aircrafts, sandwiches will be provided.
- Guests will be able to select a choice of their seat via a seat map at the time of booking (excluding Front Row and Emergency exit rows).
- For SpiceJet MAX Guests departing from Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Hyderabad, and Chennai will be provided assistance at a dedicated SpiceJet MAX counter at the airport for smooth express check-in.
- For departures from airports other than the ones mentioned above, Guests will be required to approach Airport Ticketing Offices for assistance.
- SpiceJet MAX, once booked, cannot be cancelled in isolation.
- In case of any cancellation of booking the fee charged would be refunded.