Air India seems to be making all the right moves while its competitor for the Star Alliance membership Jet Airways is busy trying to make a strategic alliance with Etihad. What I cannot figure out is, why was the Indian Civil Aviation ministry’s unnamed officials making all the noises about the conversations between 9W/EY before it was formally announced.
Anyways, as per more noises from the said ministry and a newspaper report published today, seems like Air India and the ministry (the owner of Air India) are reaching out to the member airlines of the Star Alliance to get them to vote in favour of Air India joining the alliance. They also insist that airlines are conveying to the civil aviation ministry of India their approval for Air India joining *A
Air India’s long wait to become a member of Star Alliance – a vital requirement for its elusive turnaround – may soon end. The aviation ministry has established contact with a majority of the 27 members of the world’s largest airlines’ alliance and got a favourable response for AI’s joining the group.
“AI’s entry into Star should materialize soon now. A number of member airlines have already conveyed to us their approval for that,” said a senior aviation ministry official.
To quickly refresh, Air India was on track to join the *A in July 2011, when on the day of the vote, the CEO board of the alliance voted to keep their membership on hold. *A was always interested in taking Jet Airways on board, who eventually applied this year, but is now talking to Etihad for a minority ownership and perhaps a strategic alliance as well. Like I had wondered then, this move with Star Alliance was not going to be in line with the Gulf ambitions of Jet Airways anyways.
- Jet Airways on verge of strategic partnership with Etihad
- Indian Government admits to being partisan to Lufthansa
- Air India is back to Lufthansa for Star Alliance again
- AI, should it join the Star Alliance, and would it
- AI misses its flight to the Star Alliance
- AI and Star Alliance can’t seem to make up their mind
- Star Alliance and Jet Airways – 3rd time lucky?
- Are the stars aligning for Jet Airways in Star Alliance? Air India is now a no go!