After launching a good product, it seems like SBI Cards is running their SBI Air India card just the same way like ICICI Bank did with the Jet ICICI Cards last year.

I placed a request for an appointment for the card in the first couple of days it launched. I never heard back from the SBI Card team for an appointment till the first 10 days or so. And then, I started getting all sorts of calls, emails and messages on my own post, with SBI Cards asking me for information. I replied to them on email, on FlyerTalk as well. No one bothered to respond.

And then, I messaged a friend who worked for their company. I was promised a quick callback. However, only earlier this week I got a call from the company. They said they’d set up an appointment later in the week to get my documents collected. I said Friday would be a good day (today), since I was travelling most of the week. My expectation is that people call up at least a day in advance to fix an appointment. I usually don’t dish them out on tap.

Just this morning, I got a call from SBI Card to set up a time for today or tomorrow according to my convenience. Anyhow, I accommodated them and told them to send someone today. The guy sent in just got here a while back, and he was ahead of time by 2 hours. Pity, he did not have a form which was the right now, and the information given to him was that I had to apply for another SBI product and not this one.

Now I am gone all next week, and I am hearing so many stories about SBI Card botching up this one. I’d advise everyone to stay off this card for 2-3 months till these guys can fix up their internal machinery.

As for my application, this is a developing story… I have a feeling this will work like the way Air India itself works! ;)

Related Post:

Live From A Lounge is present on Facebook, Twitter & available via email, RSS.

Posted by Ajay Awtaney | 11 Comments

11 Responses to “My botched up experience applying for the SBI AI Card”

1. Samuel says:

AJ,
    Can you point me to how much AIR INDIA miles, are worth when redeeming on Partner Airlines (Singapore Air for e.g.) Their website just says REDEEMABLE @ Air India offices. Many Thanks..

2. AJ says:

@Samuel, look at the Air India’s own charts, and I believe these are almost the same no. of miles required.

3. Samuel says:

Thanks a lot AJ. Well that list is mostly limited to flights originating from Indian airports, but if True for Partner Airlines, seems quite valuable.

4. DEVENDRA RVS says:

Dear AJ
    My experience with SBI Cards has been good till now. I got a call and a person came promptly at the appointed time and took the documents and my signature on the form.
    Later I got a confirmatory call from their call centre and was asked if I was a Frequent Flyer with AIRINDIA and my membership no /Tier.
    This was something ICICI goofed up on and gave new numbers to existing JP members. A put off which till today inhibits me from using their Cards.

5. PK says:

Hi AJ,

Thanks for updates :-)
    Its sound great!!!! its tempting :-)

Will keep you posted in case applying :-)

Thanks,

PK

6. Amit Sinha says:

Hi AJ, had applied/expressed interest via sms. Got a call from them a couple of days ago, a guy came next day to pick up the form and docs, got a call the following day verifying if i had applied. So far so good, lets see what happens now.

Interesting thing though, the form i filled mentioned the fee as Rs 3999 plus tax (the sbi site mentions Rs 4999 plus tax). The call back also clarified the fee, and they quoted the amount as Rs 3999. Curios case.

7. Amit Sinha says:

After almost a month of applying and signing off on a form which said “annual fees Rs 3999″ I got a call yesterday saying the annual fees are actually Rs 4999 and we need to take your signatures on the relevant section of the form again. Trust SBI to come up with such stuff. The good thing is that their rep came over promptly and took my signature. Wonder if and when my card application will be approved !

8. John says:

AJ, 1 question that no one has asked. Do we also continue to earn points on Air India frequent flier card that would make this deal doubly rewarding as in Citi PM card?

9. Ajay Awtaney says:

@John, each revenue flight you take on AI gets you miles on their FFP as well

10. PAG says:

Told the guys that I already have a AI FF account and requested them to link it to the one that I already have. They refused and told that’s not possible since the card application is new.
    Linking to existing AI is possible ?

11. Ajay Awtaney says:

@PAG yes it is possible and there is a section on your application where you need to fill up the existing account details