SBI credit cards started to issue Air India co-branded credit cards last year, and they are maybe one of the best airline credit cards out there from an Indian perspective. Take an example, if you get the Signature version of the card, you get:
- 20,000 Air India miles to start-up on payment of first year annual fees
- 1 Air India upgrade voucher on sign-up
- 20,000 Air India miles bonus on spending INR 3 lakhs in the year
- 20,000 Air India miles bonus and Air India Silver Club status on spending INR 5 lakhs in the year
- 50,000 Air India miles bonus and Air India Gold Club status on spending INR 10 lakhs in the year
Air India / SBI Cards seems to have recently added one more benefit for customers with the Signature Air India card. This one is a straight up status match if you have status with some other airlines.
The status match is applicable on Jet Airways, Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines, British Airways, Etihad, Qatar, Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Thai Airways and American Airlines as per this chart . Essentially these are airlines whose hubs Air India flies to and see’s major competition for business.
Once you’ve logged into your account, you’ll see instructions for getting a status match on the sidebar.
The instructions are very simple. You have to send your status card scan, along with a statement of activities for the past one month and your Air India membership number. Of course, since SBI Card is facilitating this status match, you are not going to be able to get status matched before having an Air India Signature credit card.
There is also information out there which states that tier-upgrades depend on acceptance of Air India. So, if you are an Air India Signature card holder, maybe you want to look into this status while Air India gets ready to join the Star Alliance. Report back your experiences here.
(H.T. : Parag Mehta)
- Credit Card Review: Air India SBI Visa Signature
- The SBI Air India Signature Card adds an upgrade voucher
- Air India finally gets invited into Star Alliance