One of the favourite features I have with my various MasterCard products in India is the ability to access lounges at various airports. Why would MasterCard do this? Well, to increase the spread of their cards with clients via Banks. Banks also look at this feature as a differentiation factor, and chip in for a few lounge trips as well.
I realise I last wrote about the ability to access lounges with MasterCard products way back in 2012. Since lounge contracts change all the time, I figured it is a good time to write a new post. Under the program, holders of premium MasterCard products (issued in India by select banks) are admitted to select lounges across India, if they are validated for the same by a Rs. 25 swipe on their credit/debit cards (this transaction is cancelled immediately so no monetary cost to you).
Here is the list of lounges/restaurants that are participating in the MasterCard Lounge Access program in 2014:
- Mumbai: Clipper Lounge (Terminal 2), Carnations Lounge (Terminal 1C)
- Kolkata: Clipper Lounge (Terminal 2, before security hold)
- Cochin: Clipper Lounge (Domestic, before security hold)
- Chennai: Travel Food Service (International Terminal, First Floor)
- Delhi: Masala Twist (Terminal 1D, Food Court), Good Times Bar (Terminal 3 Domestic), ITC Green Lounge (Terminal 3 International)
- Bangalore: 380 Bar, Above Ground Level (Terminal 3 International)
- Hyderabad: Plaza Premium Lounge (International Departures)
Now, in my past experience, I’ve also noticed that lounges turn away passengers who try to access lounges via credit cards to accommodate those who are invited by airlines, so you may have to factor in that holding a credit card is not a guarantee to access the lounge.
Here are the banks and their cards which can provide access under this program.
- SBICards: SpiceJet SBI Card, Yatra SBI Card. (T&C)
- Axis Bank: MyWings Credit Card (2 entries per quarter), Miles & More World Select Credit Card (8 entries per quarter), Miles & More World Credit Card (4 entries per quarter). (T&C)
- HDFC Bank: JetPrivilege World Credit Card, JetPrivilege Platinum Credit Card, Infinia, Doctors Superia, Superia, JetPrivilege World Debit Card. (T&C)
- ICICI Bank: Diamant, Sapphiro, Rubyx.
- ING Vysya Bank: Galaxia Credit Card, MyWorld Debit Card, World Exclusive Debit Card (T&C)
- Yes Bank: Yes First Debit Card (T&C)
- Citibank: PremierMiles Credit Card only in Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai (6 visits per quarter), Citigold Private Client Debit Card, Citibank World Debit Card (T&C), Citibank Platinum Debit Card (T&C)
- HSBC: HSBC Premier MasterCard (T&C)
If there are other cards which you know of, please leave a note in the comments below and I will add them to the list.
You get access to the F&B, internet (complimentary) and all facilities available to the regular visit of the lounge. At the international lounges, this also includes access to the bar if that counts as a benefit for you.