American Express and Etihad have been running a joint promotion for a while, which offers an up to 10% discount to American Express customers for booking their tickets on Etihad Airways. This promotion has now been extended to last through June 2018, and is valid around many markets, including the US and India.
As per the promotion, Etihad is offering a discount up to 10% in First, Business and Economy classes, ex taxes when you pay with your Amex card. The discount is available on all fare classes, however you need to look out for a yellow star before the fare to know you are buying a ticket with a discount. For instance, I pulled up this fare between London/Mumbai, and it comes up with a discount, which is lower than going directly to the booking engine. The discounts work out higher in absolute number terms for Business Class and upwards.
For example, take these random dated search between JFK to BOM via AUH. Yellow Stars indicate discount has been applied. The discount is shown in the end when flight selection is completed. $300 is a lot of money I say.
Here are the salient terms and conditions to get the discount:
- Offer is only valid on One-way & Return trip fares. The discount would not apply on Multicity destinations/Stopovers.
- American Express Cardmembers can receive up to 10% off when booking a flight with Etihad Airways.
- Cardmembers must book and travel by 30 June 2017.
- Payment must be made with an American Express Card and bookings must be made on etihad.com.
- Flights and fare types are subject to availability at the time of booking.
- The discount only applies to flights that are sold by Etihad Airways and operated by Etihad Airways or our codeshare partners.
- Flights eligible for the discount are clearly signaled by a yellow star next to them. Please ensure only flights eligible for the discount are selected when booking.
- The discount only applies to the base fare and not on taxes or additional charges.
- The discount is valid on all Economy Saver, Economy Value, Economy Freedom, Business Saver, Business Value, Business Freedom and First Freedom, excluding child or infant fares.
Emirates 10% off
In the case of Emirates, you would have to book your tickets by September 30, 2017 to fly out by December 31, 2017. Use promo code INAMX17, and you will get discounted prices (upto 10% off on the base fare). The Yellow Check mark indicates special pricing is being applied.
Overall, this is a very good discount for booking direct with Etihad as well as Emirates, while using a credit card or charge card from American Express. You could use either of the offers to shave off some cost from your ticket. The Etihad promotion is worldwide and hence you can get discounts across countries, including the USA. If you don’t have an Amex,apply now and get bonus points as well.