Last year, Etihad completed the purchase of 24% equity stake in Jet Airways, as a part of building its own equity alliance. As a part of the alliance, usually most other airlines enter into a reciprocity with Etihad’s own loyalty program whereby the guests of both programs are granted privileges on each other’s metal. With Jet Airways, this has been a long time coming, and I suppose Etihad has been waiting to complete their acquisition of 51% of Jet Privilege to be able to integrate the two. This transfer only completed as of April 2014.
Anyhow, the good news is, that as of today, the reciprocal benefits have been announced by both the carriers. First lets take a go at Jet Airways. They have modified their JetPrivilege page to now list the benefits that JP members would get on Etihad flights marketed either as EY or as 9W flights. Key inclusions are:
- Gold & Platinum JP members get a dedicated check-in desk, priority baggage tagging, lounge access (business & first class respectively), and priority boarding.
- Silver, Gold & Platinum JP members get 10,15 & 20 kgs extra for baggage allowance
- All JP members will earn 1 tier point for every EY flight they take, where they chose to credit it to JetPrivilege. However as per current language, no Tier JPMiles will accrue, only redeemable miles will. Also, you could be flying Etihad F on Abu Dhabi – New York JFK, but you still get 1 tier point only (Just an example).
- 10%, 20% and 30% bonus JP miles over and above redeemable miles will accrue to Silver, Gold and Platinum members.
On the other hand, Etihad has updated their website to show how the Etihad Guest members would be able to benefit on flying Jet Airways or JetKonnect. The following benefits apply for EY Etihad Guest members while they fly Jet Airways:
- 10%, 20% and 30% tier bonus for EY Silver, Gold and Gold Elite members
- Priority Check-in, Priority Baggage tagging, Priority Baggage and Lounge Access for EY Gold & Gold Elite.
- 10 kgs, 15 kgs, 20 kgs respectively as excess baggage allowance on 9W/9WK flights for Silver, Gold and Gold Elite flights.
What foxes me is that Etihad Guest is offering tier miles/segments to their members on flying 9W/9WK.
I am so glad the mystery is finally over and now I know how to treat my miles when flying 9W or EY. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a comment and I’ll write back or respond here.