2011, I managed to measure the tape from China to the USA, and it was no doubt, a wonderful experience to be all over the place for business or leisureI closed the year at 76,200 miles, while having gone many places, thanks to all the hopping flights I do when I The first day of 2012 sounds like the best day to wrap up the list and confer the honors on the various airlines and hotels and experiences which have been the most exciting (and not!) for the year gone by…
- Best Destination of the year… The Great Wall of China, although I’d like to go there again when it is not freezing cold 😉
- Best Redemption of the year… The 188,000 Jet Privilege Miles I managed to redeem on Jet Airways Business class for BOM-BRU-JFK and back (at par with the best out there). Although a few disappointments here and there.
- Best Hotel stay of the year…At the W, Taipei, overlooking the Taipei 101 in the week of its opening
- Best Credit Card of the year… My American Express Kingfisher First Credit Card and My Citibank Premier Miles Credit Card
- Best Upgrade of the year…Taj Colombo, where we paid for the lowest room category but got a fabulous room opening into the Indian Ocean
- Longest flight of the year…It should have been the DEL-ORD American Airlines flight on my mileage run for EXP but it turned out to be the ORD-DEL American Airlines flight, with all the delays and the associated miseries!
- Worst upgrade of the year… Hyatt Regency Chicago, where they did not even let me sleep!
- Edge of the seat upgrade of the year… Jet Airways BOM-DEL which was not even a gate upgrade but an in-flight upgrade
In the technical section:
- Tarmac Delay of the year… American Airlines for sitting 2 hours on the tarmac
- Interconnecting rooms of the year… Hyatt Regency Chicago again!
So there we go with some of the good, bad and ugly of 2011. Now, time to rev it up for 2012! By the way, I just got back in after dropping my parents at the airport. So, they started their year with flying, and I started it with visiting the airport! 😉
- Promotion of the year: Crack the Case promo from IHG, which got me Platinum for 2 years with IHG!