Air India, the confused Indian carrier, is up to it. They took a long while deciding when to offer the 787 flights to the public, and as per a FlyerTalk thread, this is also due to the infighting between the old Air India management and the Indian Airlines crew (which was on paper merged into AI in 2005).
That said, they have finally loaded the first flights of their recently acquired Boeing 787 into their reservation systems, and the first revenue flight of the bird will be on 19th September 2012 on DEL – MAA (AI 639).
Here is the extract from AirlineRoutes.net which confirmed this:
Delhi – Chennai eff 19SEP12 AI439/440
AI439 DEL0700 – 0940MAA 788 D
AI430 MAA1045 – 1325DEL 788 D
Delhi – Bangalore eff 19SEP12 AI403/404
AI403 DEL1630 – 1910BLR 788 D
AI404 BLR2010 – 2245DEL 788 D
While I am not so sure if I will be on this flight, I still sucked it up and booked a ticket anyways. And here is the seatmap shown that confirms the 787 configuration.
Having said that, if you want to be on this flight, as of this moment, it is also available on the PremierMiles website for 14,950 PM + INR 1400 in taxes for a Y seat. If you wanted to book an AI award, it would cost you 14,000 AI miles + taxes. You can transfer 1:1 from PremierMiles to your Air India account.
So, there you go. If you like first flights, this is your chance to get on one!
- Why I am not too hopeful with the Air India 787 induction?!
- The Jinx is broken. Air India has been delivered a Boeing 787-8!
- A first look inside the Boeing 787 Dreamliner which will go to Air India
- Air India proposes a $1 Billion compensation, Boeing disposes in $500 Million
- Air India plans to launch 787 service on Delhi – Melbourne late 2012
- Album with all the AI Boeing 787-8 Pictures