Airfares have been hitting the roof, or that is what I have been hearing for a while now. And it has to be the case, with inflation and oil prices both heading upwards, and the instance of Kingfisher going under, that airlines realised they can’t keep on dishing out discounting tickets and hope to even break even, forget making profits.
For my personal travel, as long as I have visibility on various travels, I prefer to book it far out during one of these sales of when fares look reasonable. However, there are situations from time to time where airlines do drop fares, or sell tickets for cheap and right now is one of them.
July through September is usually a lean quarter for travel, since holidays are over and corporate activity is not much as well. Hey, its raining all over the place too, and people don’t want to fly unless they have to. And airlines have started to drop fares now, so if you have your plans sorted to travel during the festive season in India which is going to be October & November this year, you may be in luck in case you book your tickets now.
Jet Airways offers 60 days advance fares, which will be a good idea now.
Indigo just yesterday dropped fares on ticket bookings 90 days out.
GoAir offers low fares 30 days out.
Random checks on my frequented sector BOM-DEL shows Rs. 7500 round trip tickets on Indigo, and with some flights even on Jet Airways/JetKonnect for the festive season.
Moral of the story: book now because you’ll save a pretty penny rather than booking them last minute.
- Air India sale fares still available
- Air India puts one million seats on sale for travel till Sep 30
- How to work the current fare sales in India: a primer
- Spicejet enters the fare war with Jet Airways
- Indigo undercuts Jet Airways Fare Sale!
- India’s biggest fare sale:book Jet Airways till Feb 24, travel till Dec 31
- Indigo & GoAir matching SpiceJet sale on some routes
- Spicejet sale: Rs. 2013 a.i. for travel anywhere in India