Mumbai Airport is one of the busiest in India, and across Asia as well. They handle Needless to say, maintenance is needed every now and then. Mumbai Airport will get started with maintenance work this week, and it will continue through the end of November as they will resurface both the runways at Mumbai airport.
The maintenance is scheduled to be from October 18, 2016 through November 28, 2016, and the runway will be closed on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. Here is how it will go:
- From October 18, 2016 through October 30, 2016, the main runway of Mumbai Airport (09/27) will be closed for four hours on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday. This closure will be in effect 10 am onwards.
- From October 31, 2016 through November 28, 2016, both the runways will be closed from 10 am onwards for 5 hours, on Mondays and Thursdays to carry out maintenance.
What this means is a lot of flights will be affected, and largely domestic schedules, and you should be checking out your flight plans for October/November if you are already booked for these days. Airlines are responding as well. Here is how the Indian airlines are responding.
- Jet Airways: Has revised flight schedule for the period. If you have your phone number on the ticket, they will send you an SMS or email to tell you if your flight was affected.
- Indigo: Many a flights impacted. Here is the schedule. They ask you to call them. While there is no advisory on their website, I’ve heard they are waiving change or cancellation fees for those on these flights.
- GoAir: GoAir has cancelled some flights due to the closure. Here is the list.
Other airlines have not yet put out any steps they are taking in this regard.
If you are on a flight from Mumbai Airport, check the schedules and your emails now for any reschedule notices for the coming months. Reach out to your airline for specific assistance