Singapore Airlines will be changing some aspects of its frequent flyer program in the coming week. SQ had made a major change to the redemption valuations on their own metal earlier this year, and now is the time for changes to the Star Alliance redemption chart. In the upcoming changes, business and first class awards will almost across the board cost more, partner awards will be available for bookings online and KrisFlyer phone support will cost $25.
Singapore KrisFlyer’ Star Alliance award chart devaluation
As of December 7, 2017, a new award chart will be put in place for Star Alliance redemptions. For reference, here is the current chart:
And here is the new award chart that will go into effect on December 7, 2017.
With these charts, you’ll notice no decreases in the price of tickets you’d pay. However, there are some increases for sure. For instance, for awards originating from India (Central, South Asia region), here are some of the major routes going up:
- Central, South Asia to North Asia 2 (South Korea and Japan included): from 80K to 88K points
- Central, South Asia to South West Pacific (Australia included): from 102.5K to 108K points
- Central, South Asia to North America (New York and San Francisco included): from 132.5K to 145K points
- Central, South Asia to North Asia 2 (South Korea and Japan included): from 60K to 66K points
- Central, South Asia to South West Pacific (Australia included): from 72.5K to 87K points
- Central, South Asia to North America (New York and San Francisco included): from 97.5K to 110K points
- Central, South Asia to South West Pacific (Australia included): from 37.5K to 45K points
- Central, South Asia to North America (New York and San Francisco included): from 52.5K to 55K points
Of course, this being the Star Alliance award chart you can book tickets from anywhere to anywhere since it is going to be on the 26 other member carriers of Star Alliance.
Book Star Alliance Awards Online
While so far you’ve been able to book SQ redemptions online, you haven’t been able to book other Star Alliance partners online. Going forward, that would be possible on December 7, 2017. And since you no longer need the phone to book those tickets, you will now be incurring a 25 USD or a 2500 Krisflyer miles fee to do ticketing or changes on the phone.
Inferring the changes
The ability to book Star Alliance awards online this month onwards would be nice, but the real deal is the price increase on some segments. As is almost always the case, it is the premium cabins that will get a higher price hike as compared to the economy classes.
This also takes care of the anomaly that existed for a few months now where to book a Star Alliance ticket would have allowed for flying more than flying on SQ’s own metal. Such as flying Lufthansa First Class from Mumbai to Frankfurt to New York, to Dallas on United as compared to booking BOM-SIN-FRA-EWR on SQ’s own metal.
Ultimately, the changes are not good for you and me but good for SQ. However, there is still time to book at the old prices. Remember, you can transfer from HDFC Bank Diners Club and from Citibank to make the redemptions.
If there are any questions, ask in the comments section below.