I love the way American Express is becoming aggressive in the Travel space this year. They have some fantastic offers running at the moment. For instance, INR 5,000 cash back on every INR 20,000 you would spend at Hilton Hotels, applicable for 10 bookings. That is a huge saving for someone planning a vacation or business travel and stays with the Hilton Hotels.
Now, they are coming up with another new promotion for their consumer cards, which allows you 10X points on AmEx Membership Rewards Travel bookings made via their Amex Travel portal, through March 2019.
American Express has put out this promotion on the following cards:
- The American Express® Platinum Reserve Credit Card
- The American Express® Gold Card
- The American Express Membership Rewards® Credit Card
- The American Express® Gold Credit Card
All the above cards usually offer 1 Membership Rewards point for every INR 50 spent, so in this case, you get:
- 3 Membership Rewards Points for every INR 50 spent booking domestic flights
- 10 Membership Rewards Points for every INR 50 spent booking hotels (domestic and international)
Remember, every Membership Rewards point converts to 1/2 mile, so in this case, you get 3 miles/INR 100 spent on flight bookings, and 10 miles/INR 100 spent on hotel bookings.
This is a very good attempt by American Express to get people to start using American Express for their travel more often. Amex is the world leader in corporate travel, but in India, only the big companies use them. Time for them to make a play in the broader market as well!
How do you plan to maximise the use of the new 10X Amex Membership Rewards Travel promotion?