Jet Airways is constantly updating their network schedule during this winter schedule, given their situation. They are trying to work out what is best for them. Usually one of the first steps of a turnaround plan is to downsize the operations. We already covered how Jet Airways is consolidating their international network.
- Jet Airways massive International route consolidation coming December 2018
- Jet Airways Middle-East network changes
Here we will cover Jet Airways domestic route changes. As of now, I could find the following changes in effect from December 5, 2018. There are tonnes of routes which are seeing a frequency reduction.
- New Delhi to Dehradun becomes 2x daily except for Sunday and 3x daily on Sundays in December and January. Back to 3x daily except for Sunday and 4x daily on Sundays from February 2018.
- Mumbai to Kolkata is reducing to 7x daily from 8x daily
- New Delhi to Mumbai is reducing from 17x daily to 16x daily
- Mumbai to Thiruvananthapuram is reducing from 2x daily to 1x daily
- New Delhi to Indore is reducing from 3x daily to 2x daily
- New Delhi to Bagdogra is reducing from 2x daily to daily
- Kolkata to Guwahati is reducing from 2x daily to daily
- Kolkata to New Delhi is reducing from 4x daily to 2x daily
- New Delhi to Chandigarh is reducing from 4x daily to 3x daily
- Mumbai to Dehradun is reducing from 2x daily to daily
- New Delhi to Udaipur is reducing from 3x daily to 2x daily from December 4, 2018. Further reducing to Daily from December 7, 2018. Increasing to 2x Daily from February 10, 2019
- Mumbai to Coimbatore is reducing from 3x Daily to 2x Daily
Routes in the DGCA schedule filed by Jet Airways which haven’t materialised yet or are shut down or shutting down include the following:
- Chennai to Madurai
- Bengaluru to Thiruvananthapuram
- Bengaluru to Patna
- Bengaluru to Lucknow
- New Delhi to Vishakhapatnam
- Ahmedabad to Guwahati
- Guwahati to Pune
- Rajkot to Indore
- Rajkot to Udaipur
- Udaipur to Indore
- Hyderabad to New Delhi
- Hyderabad to Pune
- Hyderabad to Shirdi
- Chennai to Indore
- Pune to Raipur
- Kolkata to Pune
- Kolkata to Chandigarh
- Kolkata to Indore
In case of Bengaluru to Patna, Jet Airways operated 4 flights in September, 6 in October and 7 in November before shutting it down.
Routes which are seeing a frequency addition,
- New Delhi to Patna is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
- New Delhi to Raipur is increasing from daily to 2x daily
In the new summer schedule which is going to be operational from March 28, 2019, Jet Airways will be closing Khajuraho operations. Khajuraho is currently served by a daily Boeing 737 flight from New Delhi via Varanasi.
Jet Airways over the years have opted out of quite a few stations like Tiruchirappalli, Jammu, Port Blair, Ranchi and Bhubaneshwar with Tiruchirappalli being the most recent one. No doubt there are many more. In this new schedule, they have drastically reduced their presence in Kerala. Jet Airways currently operates,
- Kochi: 3x Daily flights from Mumbai, 1x Daily flight from New Delhi and 1x Daily flight to Sharjah (which will be shutting down)
- Kozhikode: 1x Daily flight from Mumbai
- Thiruvananthapuram: 1x Daily flight from Mumbai and 1x Daily flight to Dammam
There are also numerous domestic stations where Jet Airways now operates a single daily flight (in some cases not even daily) such as:
Jet Airways is indeed facing stiff competition from no-frills carriers. IndiGo added 13 new domestic flights and 3 International flights out of Kochi this year. SpiceJet is also expanding massively in Rajasthan in the recent years, which was a stronghold of Jet Airways. Of the top of my head, Jet Airways operates Ahmedabad to Jodhpur with an ATR 72-500 for quite some time now. In the recent schedule, SpiceJet launched a flight on the same route with a Q400 Dash8. No doubt demand is there, but is it enough for 2 daily flights to sustain?
The table will give you a comparison of how Jet Airways domestic metro network fares in terms of frequencies, in comparison to their FSC peers.
It seems there is a tonne of changes coming to the 9W network. Some of these may be just unprofitable operations, some others may be pulled out due to aeroplane requirements at other places. But Jet Airways definitely seems to be operating a lower number of flights than published in DGCA schedule.
What are your thoughts on Jet Airways overall network changes?