HDFC Bank sure has a great credit card team which knows how to keep offering newer features on the card to keep their credit card users engaged. Some of these are hits and then continue to be on the programme forever, for instance, the 10X on Smartbuy and select brands every quarter. This month, they are experimenting with a new ticket cancellation tie-up in partnership with HDFC Ergo.
The new promotion offers zero cancellation charges on domestic flights booked using HDFC Bank Credit Cards, on tickets booked through February 28, 2019. On refundable tickets, you will be able to get a refund from HDFC Ergo on the portion of the ticket cost not refunded by the airline, excluding convenience fees. For non-refundable tickets, you get 50% of the ticket cost, excluding convenience fee. The amount is capped at INR 25,000 in total per transaction.
The promotion states, if you have cancellations done on bookings done through platforms offering accelerated reward points, such as the 10X programme, points pertaining to entire ticket value will be reversed. The promotion is valid only on Retail and Business Credit Cards of HDFC Bank.
You can book the tickets anywhere (directly with the airline or an OTA), as long as it was paid for with an HDFC Bank Credit Card. JetPrivilege co-branded cards do not qualify for this promotion. Also, if you book a ticket by redeeming HDFC Bank reward points, that does not count either.
Here are the key T&Cs:
- Offer applicable on bookings for Domestic flights only.
- Offer valid for bookings done from February 1 to February 28, 2019.
- Maximum ticket claim value for each transaction will be INR 25,000.
- A maximum of 2 cancellation requests will be fulfilled per customer on bookings done during the promotion period across all travel portals
- Coverage applies to connecting flights as well.
- Cancellations will be allowed until 24 hours from scheduled departure time or September 30, 2019, whichever is latest.
- Reimbursement of ticket cost only, no convenience fees to be paid.
How to claim?
Let’s say you have a ticket which now needs to be cancelled. You first need to go ahead and cancel the ticket and receive your refund from the OTA/airline. You can only start the process of claiming the rest of the amount from HDFC Ergo after this. Write to HDFC Ergo on email@example.com along with the following documents and they will process your refund:
- Duly filled claim form.
- Copy of Flight Tickets.
- Proof of Flight Ticket booking confirmation through HDFC Bank Credit Card.
- Proof of Flight Ticket Cancellation by Card Holder and carrier.
- Confirmation mail from the air service for cancellation of booking from the claimant.
- Confirmation mail from the insured person for receipt of refund by respective air service.
As long as everything is alright, the refund will be done within seven working days after receiving the relevant claim documents and is eligible as per policy.
The HDFC Bank promotion is essentially refunding you the amount of the cancellation fee, or half the non-refundable ticket’s cost via their insurance company for tickets booked this month. So, for instance, you could have an HDFC Regalia flight ticket cancellation and then claim it back from the bank if you booked the ticket this month.
How do you think you will put your credit card to the best use this month? I will be making quite some ticket bookings this month to ensure I get this benefit over the coming months. MakeMyTrip, here I come.
(HT: Prabir Ghosh & Balajee Venkataraman)